Thursday, April 17, 2014

Q&A with Stephanie Worlton

You remember when I featured All the Finer Things a little while back? Well, I got to asked the author, Stephanie Worlton, some questions. She even answered them (and very well I might add)--So enjoy! And don't forget to check out the Other Post for more details about the book.

1. What was the first thing that sparked the idea for All the Finer Things?

I woke up early one morning with a very clear image of who Megan was and where her story needed to go. I could see her face and feel her pain. I’ve witnessed the horror of physical and mental abuse in the lives of women that I love. And it’s not always a spouse or a loved-one that deals out that abuse. Often women are their own biggest oppressors. But I’ve also witnessed the strength and the beauty in those women as they’ve conquered their fears and moved past the oppression. I couldn’t wait to introduce Megan to the people that would help her get to that place of peace, joy, and self-love.

2. What was your favorite chapter to write and why?

Banter-filled conversations are my favorite thing to write and All the Finer Things has its fair share of them. One of my favorite ones is a scene where Megan gets stranded in the pouring rain and Carter comes to her rescue on his four-wheeler. Imagine this pampered princess, fancy shoes and designer pants kind of girl, fresh from getting her hair done, stuck on the back of a four-wheeler in the pouring rain! She is horrified by the whole experience and every time Carter splashes into a mud puddle or takes a corner with the slightest degree of speed she freaks out. He, however, finds great humor and entertainment in the drive.

3. What is your favorite book you have read recently?

I recently read The Gathering - Ends Beginning by Randy Lindsay. It's not my typical fare, but I really liked it. I read to escape so I always appreciate a good, easy to follow, well written story.

4. Who was your favorite author growing up?

Wow! I'm going to really date myself here, but I loved The Sweet Valley Twins and The Sweet Valley High series by Francine Pascal. I'd polish off an entire book in one day.

5. What is the first random word that comes to mind?

Bamboozle.

6. What do you think inspired your answer to number 5?

My teenage daughter tells me all the time that I use big or fancy words, so I've been try to throw new ones at her as often as possible. This is one that made her chuckle. I've been trying to throw it into our conversations a lot lately just to see her roll her eyes at me!

7. Other than Megan Hamilton, who is your favorite character in All the Finer Things?

Ammon Carter, hands down! He's got quite the mix of attributes: he's strong, sentimental, quirky, dependable, and kind. Oh, and ruggedly handsome to boot. Who wouldn't like him?

8. Who are some of your favorite fictional characters?

I read so much this is a tough question. Aside from my own characters whom I love like my own children, the first ones that pop to my mind are Ketura (from Misty Moncur's Strippling Warrior series) and Katniss from the Hunger Games. I 'm drawn to strong, capable female characters.

9. If you had a time machine and could meet any author--who would it be?

Mark Twain. He seems like a unique and quirky kind of man. I think we could have quite the interesting conversation.

10. What's your next project and when do you hope to have it finished?

I'm working on a few things. My next release will be a non-fiction titled Beautiful Daughter. It's a cute little book about recognizing our individual beauty and worth. My next full length novel, Beyond Tomorrow, is in the works. It deals with corruption within a big city police force and the DEA. It also features a very strong undertone of our connection with those who’ve passed on. It’s a bit more intense than my other novels but it still has a surprising element of romance woven in. I’m very excited about it! Not sure on any release dates yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment